Projects

Here is a list of projects, most of them open source, that I've worked on during the last few years.

MuseParse

Github - Docs - Pip

This project took a few months to develop and was originally my first objective in my Final Year Project during my BSc degree at Hull. Essentially, it's a python module which allows you to instantiate a parser to handle MusicXML, a shareable format for sheet music which is included as an export format in many major composition programs. When ran the parser will return a hierarchy of objects which represent the file in memory.
You can then output that to Lilypond, which is a sheet music rendering system, which should produce a PDF.

I decided to release this as a standalone module because the project I was working on needed this as a baseline - my aim wasn't really to parse and display musicXML, but in order for the project to be useful there had to be a way for musicians to view files as images/pdfs. As such, I figured there's probably a lot of other people who needed something similar. I also decided it would be useful to have particularly useful bits of code as standalone portions so that people who needed those but not the rest of my Final Year Project could get access without digging through code.

University of Hull Computer Science video

During the final stages of my degree I provided a testimony for the University of Hull's computer science video. You can view this below. This involved producing my own answers ahead of time, being filmed and having various supporting photographs taken of me on the same day.

Circuits with Charlotte

From July 2014 - April 2013 I worked closely with Element14 to produce a series of videos and blog posts for different projects. They resulted in 5 videos posted over that period on youtube, which you can view below.

Each video took about half a day to produce at or nearby their office in Leeds, and involved producing the code and blogs ahead of time as well as coming up with unique projects. The days of filming involved deciding and planning on what to say in the videos as well as taking and retaking shots of the lines to ensure every element of the video was perfected.

Wearable workshop for girl guides

In January 2013 during my industrial year I found an opening in the STEM ambassador newsletter for a visit to the girl guides. I decided I wanted to do it, and to produce something fun, creative and that would teach the elements of computer science in an interactive way.
I settled upon wearables and planned out how much I would need to budget for each kit for each child. I found that it would cost me too much, and that there was little to no funding the girl guides had at their disposal.

This lead to me producing, sharing and marketing a crowdfunding campaign on hubbub which was immensely successful and reached its target within a week. In addition to this I contacted my university, who liked the campaign to the point where they were willing to support and provide additional funding on top of the crowdfunding money.

I ran the workshop in March 2014, cleaned up the resources and open sourced them so that other people may use them, which is available on Github. I reused these resources on occasions after this and improved and modified the code and worksheets based on feedback from teachers and students of those workshops. The resources have also been used to great success at Southend Raspberry Jam over the past year since the event, and occasionally I've fulfilled requests to loan equipment for other girl guide and scout meet ups across the country.
If you would like to borrow equipment, please do comment or holler at me on twitter.